Saturday, January 2, 2010

Trip History


So it all started just under a year ago when our group leader Kevin Kitching called a meeting at SCI for anyone interested in an African habitat build. There was enough interest and so an informal group was formed.
I got really excited and sent out an email to many of my family and friends letting them know of the trip and that I was heading to Africa.
The number one question from everyone was WHERE in Africa?
Knowing it is a very huge continent I felt a bit silly saying "I don't know".
It was then that I realized I was getting a little ahead of myself in the excitement, anticipation and collecting of donations end of things. (Many Habitat Global Village trips are planned 3-6 months prior to departure)
I am obsessed with thoughts of packing lists, meds, safe water, safaris,...
Two very wonderful things came out of my overzealous and premature announcement and that was that my cousin Barb joined the group as did my friend Vera. They both recognized that this could potentially be a once in a lifetime experience and I am so thrilled they are participating too!
We had a really fun Sud, Spud and Steak fundraiser at the OBB in the fall and I was overwhelmed with the tremendous support, I have a truly wonderful staff and group of friends and family that supported the event.
The destination was now narrowed down to Kenya or Malawi - we were pumped to go.
(I am still obsessed with thoughts of mosquito nets, shots, sunburns, diarrhea, malaria...)
Kevin informed us that the area he first chose to travel to in Malawi (he had done a build there previously) was no longer taking groups but that there was another area in the South east part of the country (Mulanje) that would take us. We are going to Mulanje, Malawi, Africa - can I hear a big WOO HOO!
Still obsessing over travel health issues and packing lists - get over it Dawn it is still 7 months away!!
In early December we got our official itinerary and a really snazzy colored map with the locations of the cities we would travel to all labeled.
We have had a couple of meetings (I admit i have only attended one of them) but the Dec 18 meeting at Sue's seemed to really cement things together.
I must confess that I was l floored to learn that my packing plans of throwing 10 pairs of shorts and tank tops for the trip were kiboshed as only whores or prostitutes would be seen wearing shorts, so pants and capris it is!!!
I was however, comforted to know that packing a case of fruit bars and protein bars and having 'food concerns' is normal!
Don't get me wrong pepto tablets are still high on my list of "must packs"
that pretty much sums it up...
later!