Sunday, July 11, 2010

best day ever

link to best day ever and soccer photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/105226841757151966002/AfricaJuly11?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfW2YbFlvqEoQE&feat=directlink

Woke up and grabbed a quick bite to eat, made an outdoor clothesline to dry some of our stuff that never seems to lose that damp feel, it is very sunny today.
Some ventured back to the curios to do some more purchasing others had a bit of a rest and Barb and I headed down to the pools (smaller versions of the waterfalls) to read and catch some rays. Ironically enough the spot we chose had a tree stand on either side of the river that looked a lot like a lifeguard chair but both of us agreed that being on an emergency flight home from Malawi due to falling out of a tree stand for a photo opp would not be a great thing.

At one point I caught myself gazing into the trees looking for monkeys and Barb looked over and it was so bizarre to hear the words 'don't mind me just looking for monkey's' come out of my mouth! Cannot believe that I was lying on rocks the size of my backyard beside a waterfall suntanning and hoping for a monkey sitting in the middle of Africa. Packed 5 books and am still only part way through the first one - too many things to do - today when I had the chance to read I preferred to lie and take in the mountains, trees, streams and then suddenly 3 young boys holding necklaces they wanted to sell. Neither of us had a single kwacha on us but one boy offered Barb one in exchange for her pen - score!
In no time we were back at the lodge boarding the van for the big game (see other post). The community if very near to Juma, we arrived around lunch time and discovered the students were eating lunch so we took a tour of a couple of the Habitat houses that Tadeo had coordinated the builds for in February. The one area had only women and children - not a single guy - Tadeo said it is sadly common for the men to run away.
We were also able to take a small tour of the exterior of the school buildings and peak in the windows and view their timetable, saw a great poster on one wall -
Girls wait to get married - get an education first!

Then it was game time!
The ride home was quieter than most only because people were either totally bagged or were chowing down on the oranges that Nancy had individually wrapped and sent along with Kevin for us. Spirits were very high nonetheless.
Back at the lodge, some showered, others headed to the pools, Barb and I did a bit of laundry in the sink and as I was hanging it on our newly hung clothesline I could hear some rustling in the trees and sure enough my first monkey siting overhead. (Ken, Sue and Meag saw some yesterday). I was so excited I couldn't leave my spot, once I was certain they were going to hang around for a while I grabbed Karyn from the dorm, then I got Barb from the bathroom and we spent the next 10 minutes watching 4 small baboons swing around, eat, and occasionally argue with one another, by this time Marleen, Lisa and Vera were back to the room and they got to see them too!
Supper was a wonderful casserole -spaghetti, green beans, carrots and ground beef with a good old cheese topping - can you say seconds everybody?
Nancy also brewed some locally grown coffee - would give Tim's a run for their money for sure.
(we drove by Nancy's soon to be restaurant on the way back from Namulenga - she just got her loan approved - it is very beautiful and has potted plants and a landscaped yard)
xo