Sunday, July 11, 2010

Game On!

While the rest of the World was tuned into Spain vs Netherlands, via satellite and cable TV, battle it out in South Africa, the village of Namulanga was watching Canada vs Africa LIVE. 
Who know our opposition would show up with soccer uniforms (and one player in soccer cleats)? Tadeo said our jerseys were better and pointed to our white arms :)
Daunting as the full uniforms were, we knew that we were in trouble when the coach strolled across the field with a notebook in his hand.
The score at water break (or possibly half time) was a very comfortable 1-0 in favor of Team Africa.
Freshly hydrated, Team Canada returned to the pitch and were most grateful that in addition to our 'imports' Tadeo and Limbani, several other onlookers had become team Canada members. Every few minutes another body would join the field and once again smiles and laughter require no translators. Soon, their coach was even playing with us.
At one point, I was not certain what the peals of laughter and squeals on my sideline were a result of and then out of the corner of my eye I noticed that random girls were being subbed into the game as I caught sight of a girl handing off her jersey.
It was a game I will not soon forget.
Post game we asked the coach (he is one of their teachers) if we could shake hands. He called his team over and then invited everyone to form a circle and join hands so we could speak to one another. He invited Kevin to speak first and he thanked our host team for the opportunity to get some exercise and enjoy the glorious weather. I thanked to players who joined our side and allowed us to maintain a most respectable 2-0 loss. 
Their coach then shared with us that this was the first ever organized game his school girls (and a few boys) had ever played and he hope it was a sign of many future ones that would begin a tradition of girls football. He then invited us to return again to Africa to play again, adding with a giggle that next time we should bring better players!
We then shook hands one by one all the way around the circle - was really neat.
The boy and girl holding my hand were very anxious to talk to me and exchanged names and the boy said, 'it is evident you have played before' I was most flattered. They then asked my age and looked very shocked and made me repeat it and I am quite certain that the 'holy sheesh' out of his mouth sounded a lot like 'holy shit' - thinking I'll take that as a compliment too.
I asked Kevin if I could leave the Canada frisbee that I had brought along with the coach and Marleen also left one, as we drove away in the van they were already once again airborn.
good times !!